It is that time of year again, when all thoughts are about baking Christmas squares and cookies. I, myself, want to be able to make all the great goodies that I grew up with and Matrimonial Squares were always a fav of mine.
Last year I tried a new recipe for a gluten free date square that did not work, and determined from there not to try making them again.
At Safeway the other day I spotted a fresh bag of pitted dates and it rekindled my desire to make a great Matrimonial Square.
This recipe does that.
In fact, I think it is better than the ones I used to have as a kid. That is a statement you do not hear very often about gluten free baking.
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/3 cup brown rice flour
- 3 tbsp tapioca starch
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups gf oats(I use Only Oats brand which is non-contaminated)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 cup butter(melted)
- 1/2 lb(225 g) chopped, pitted dates
- 1/2 cup water
- Mix together the first 8 ingredients fully, then add the melted butter and gently stir until combined.
- Set aside.
- Cook dates and water in a pot on the stove, mixing periodically until a gooey paste forms.
- Spray and line a 8×8 pan (I spray, then line my pan with parchment paper for easier removal of squares).
- Press ½ of oat mixture on pan.
- Spread date filling evenly over oat layer.
- Top with remaining oats and spread out.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 30-40 minutes until golden brown.
- Allow to cool completely before removing and cutting squares.
- Enjoy them!!!