These gluten-free citrus bars are easy to make, taste delicious and made with a lemon and lime filling and a shortbread crust. Easy and tangy gluten-free bars that are perfect for springtime and Easter dessert.
While most lemon bars just use lemon, I switched the recipe up and added a mix of lemons and limes. I love the freshness of the 2 citrus fruits together in the filling. I keep the amount of filling less than most bar recipes, but feel free to double the citrus filling amount if you like.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR CITRUS BARS:
- Gluten-Free Flour Blend
- Icing Sugar
- Lemon and Lime Zest
- Fresh Lemon and Lime Juice
- Gluten-free Baking Powder
A delicious gluten-free springtime dessert that tastes like sunshine to me. Dust with icing sugar for a bit of added sweetness to the gluten-free citrus squares.
With a buttery gluten-free shortbread crust and a thin layer of citrus filling on top, these eat to make gluten-free citrus bars are guaranteed to be a hit! All you need to do is to combine gluten-free flour, butter and icing sugar together. Press into a square baking pan and bake for 20 minutes. In a small bowl add eggs, lemon and lime juice, zest from lemon and lime and gluten-free baking powder and beat with hand mixer. Pour over the par-baked crust and bake again for 15 minutes. Remove, cool and cut into bars. That is it!
HOW TO MAKE THE BARS:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a square baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl add the gluten-free flour, butter and icing sugar and use a hand mixer to combine until you have a coarse sanding mixture.
- Press into lined pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl add the eggs, lime and lemon juice, zests and baking powder and beat well until light and foamy.
- Pour over crust and place back in oven and bake for 15 more minutes.
- Remove and cool before cutting into squares.
Add a bit of sunshine into you dessert tonight and make these gluten-free citrus bars. These bars are not too sweet nor too tart. I am not a big fan of filling and prefer the shortbread crust to be the main character. If you want more filling, just double the ingredients and bake.
This gluten-free citrus bar is perfect for Easter dessert, afternoon tea, picnics and bbq’s in the summer. A delicious and easy to make gluten-free citrus bar. These citrus squares are definitely a favourite in the house during the months of April and May. The citrus filling and shortbread crust just brighten the day.
HERE ARE MORE SPRING DESSERTS:
- Lemon and Poppyseed Donuts
- Hummingbird Donuts
- Blueberry Crumb Bars
- Lime and Poppyseed Cake
- Carrot Cake
- Carrot Cake Cupcakes
- Easy Vanilla Snack Cake
WANT MORE RECIPES? Subscribe to get new recipes delivered straight into your inbox. And be sure to follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter. I really would love to hear from you.
Gluten Free Citrus Bars
- 1 cup gluten free flour blend
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup gluten free icing sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a square baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl use a hand mixer to combine the gluten free flour blend, butter and icing sugar until it resembles coarse sand.
- Press into the square baking dish.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes until lightly brown.
- Remove and cool while you are preparing filling
- In a small bowl beat the eggs, zests, lemon and lime juice, salt and baking powder with a hand mixer until light and foamy.
- Pour filling over crust and place bake in oven for 15 minutes.
- Cool before cutting into squares.