How about a flourless chocolate cake that tastes amazing. Even better, a chocolate cake that is good for you?
Well as good as a chocolate cake can be. This one is made using cooked quinoa. And as we know quinoa is a superfood. It is full of nutrients, protein, gluten free, and high fiber.
Plus if you use a dark chocolate this cake has antioxidants too! What more can a chocolate cake get?
This recipe is courtesy of a customer I met at work. I met Andrea, while she was shopping for vegetarian cookbooks. We started up a conversation and before long she passed on a chocolate cake recipe to me.
I tried it and wow… it was great!
This would make a great holiday dessert.
I thank Andrea for passing this recipe on to me, and I will now pass it on to you.
Quinoa Chocolate Cake
- 2/3 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Cook the quinoa in the water.
- To do this, add both ingredients to a pan, then bring the mixture to a boil.
- At this point, put the lid on, lower the heat and simmer for approx 10 minutes.
- Shut off the heat and leave the pan on the burner to continue cooking slightly for an additional 10 minutes.
- Mix it somewhat with a fork and allow to cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare an 8 inch springform pan.
- I greased and lined the sides and bottom with parchment.
- Using a stand mixer put the eggs, vanilla and milk in a bowl.
- Add 2 cups of the cooked quinoa.
- Combine these ingredients, then add the butter.
- Blend until everything is smooth.
- In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients together.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet mixture and mix.
- Place the mixture into the cake pan.
- Cook for approximately 50 minutes.
- It is done when a toothpick inserted comes out clean. (I found the cake took longer to bake for me. With the altitude here, my times can be different)
- I let the cake cool completely and once removed from the pan I covered the cake in a dark chocolate ganache.
Recipe courtesy of www.best-chocolate-recipes.com
Here is that recipe
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 4 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- Put the cream into a saucepan and heat until scalding hot.
- Put the chocolate into a heatproof bowl and pour the hot cream over.
- Whisk until smooth.
- Let cool for 2 minutes and then pour over the cake.