Do you like loaf cakes?
Loaf cakes are basically a denser cake batter baked in a loaf pan.
They are normally less sweet than a regular cake and require no icing. You can icing them if you want but it is not necessary.
Loaf cakes slice nicely and are a perfect light cake with a cup of tea.
For this loaf cake recipe I used the flour blend Cup4Cup. It is available at Williams Sonoma stores in North America.
I used goat milk in this recipe but feel free to substitute regular cow milk or coconut milk in the recipe. I like using goat milk as a substitute for cow’s milk for it has the same creaminess and does not separate when heated.
Recipe: Gluten Free Dried Fruit Loaf Cake
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance vegan “butter”, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups Cup4Cup gluten free flour blend
- 1 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cardamon
- 1/2 cup goat milk
- 1 cup dried apricots, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup dried cherries
- 1/4 cup dried blueberries
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a stand mixer cream the vegan “butter’ with the brown sugar.
- Add the eggs and mix again, scraping the sides of the bowl to incorporate all.
- Increase to medium and beat for a minute.
- In a small bowl whisk the gluten free flour blend, salt, baking powder and spices.
- Add the dry ingredients, alternately with the goat milk to the batter.
- Mix on medium speed until batter is smooth.
- Add the dried fruits and mix on low for a minute.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake for 45-50 minutes.
- Cover the loaf with a piece of aluminum foil for the first 20 minutes.
- Remove foil and continue baking until a toothpick comes out clean from loaf.
- Remove from oven and let cool.