A classic and traditional gluten-free gingerbread cake recipe. Dense but moist, flavoured with warm spies and molasses and definitely delicious! A vintage gingerbread cake that is wonderful served with my caramel icing on top. Make it a thick layer of caramel icing too I think!
This rich old fashioned gluten-free gingerbread cake is comfort food at its best for the holidays. It will fill your kitchen with smells and memories of Christmas past. This cake reminds me so much of holidays spent with my Grandma. She loved to bake and shared her love of cooking and baking for her family with me. I cherish that and miss her terribly especially at Christmas.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED TO MAKE THE CAKE:
- White Sugar
- Organic Molasses
- Ground Cloves
- Baking Soda
- Gluten-Free Baking Powder
- Unsweetened Applesauce
- Gluten-Free Flour Blend
Gluten-free gingerbread cake that is moist, full of flavours like ginger, cinnamon, cloves and molasses. This easy to make gluten-free gingerbread cake is a must on your holiday baking list. A favourite for sure at Christmas time!
Gingerbread cake is a moist spiced cake and my recipe makes around 9-12 servings depending how big or small you slice it. Filling the house with the aroma of spice during the holiday season. You can also add these gluten-free recipes to your baking list: gluten-free soft gingersnaps, pinwheel cookies, gluten and dairy-free sugar cookies, gluten-free chocolate cake roll and cream puffs.
Classic gluten-free gingerbread cake with rich cinnamon, ginger, cloves and molasses flavours. Perfect for your holiday dessert menu.
Gluten-free gingerbread cake is the epitome of the Christmas season and would work for a holiday brunch too. Add gluten-free dairy-free gingerbread cookies and gluten-free soft gingersnaps to your baking list. The flavours of ginger, cinnamon, cloves and molasses scream holidays to me. Strong, slight sweet and a little bit spicy! It is perfectly spiced and so festive for holiday entertaining.
HOW TO MAKE THE GINGERBREAD CAKE:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 9x9 baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl add the softened butter and sugar and mix on low speed. Increase speed and beat until smooth.
- Add the molasses , applesauce and egg and mix on medium speed. Scrape sides of bowl to incorporate all. Beat until smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix on low speed.
- Add the buttermilk and water and mix on low. Increase speed to beat and mix until batter is very smooth.
- Pour batter into lined baking pan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Remove and cool.
- Make caramel icing (recipe below)
Christmas is not complete without gingerbread flavours. Try my gluten-free gingerbread cookies and soft gingersnaps too. Even though this gluten-free gingerbread cake is made in a simple 9×9 square pan, it yields big results with its moistness, flavour and over the top delicious caramel icing. Sure to be loved by everyone who eats it!
It is soft, moist and perfectly spiced with ginger, cloves, cinnamon and molasses.
A traditional gluten-free gingerbread cake that is absolutely delicious and quick to make. Excellent for the holiday season. You will love it!
HERE ARE MORE HOLIDAY RECIPES TO TRY:
- Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Sugar Cookies
- Gluten-Free Soft Gingersnaps
- Cream Puffs
- Chocolate Roll Cake
- Gluten-Free Linzer Cookies
WANT MORE RECIPES? Subscribe to get new recipes delivered straight into your inbox. And be sure to follow me on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter. I really would love to hear from you.
HAVE ANY GLUTEN-FREE QUESTIONS? Have any questions about gluten-free cooking or baking? Send me a DM and I would be happy to help you out.
Gluten Free Gingerbread Cake
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup organic molasses
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1 tsp each cinnamon, ginger and cardamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free flour blend
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2- 21/2 cups icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 9×9 baking pan with parchment paper.
- Add the softened butter and sugar to a medium bowl and mix on low speed. Increase speed to medium and beat.
- Add the molasses, applesauce and egg and mix on medium speed. Beat until smooth
- Add the dry ingredients and and mix on low speed.
- Add the buttermilk and beat on low speed. Increase speed to medium and beat until batter is light and fluffy.
- Pour batter into baking pan.
- Bake for 33-35 minutes.
- Remove and cool.
- Melt butter and brown sugar on low heat
- Increase heat and bring to a boil and boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add milk and heat until just boiling.
- Remove from heat and cool for a couple minutes.
- Add the icing sugar and use a hand mixer to beat until smooth.
- Spread icing right away on cooled cake