“Venti 1/2 sweet Chai tea latte.” That is what I typically order from Starbucks. What if I told you that you cold make your own homemade chai tea concentrate for far less than buying a drink at a coffee shop?
Making your own gluten-free chai concentrate at home is very easy.
This chai tea concentrate uses ingredients like earl grey tea, cinnamon sticks, whole vanilla bean, whole cloves, cardamon pods, star anise pods and more. Add all ingredients in a large pot on the stove with water, boil, then simmer and strain. That’s it!
INGREDIENTS NEEDED TO MAKE THE CHAI CONCENTRATE:
- Black Tea
- Cinnamon Sticks
- Vanilla Bean
- Brown Sugar
- Whole Cloves
- Cardamon Pods
- Ground Nutmeg
- Star Anise Pods
- Black Peppercorns
- Corriander Seeds
- Ground Allspice
- Orange zest
- Fresh Ginger
It is so easy to make your own gluten-free homemade chai tea concentrate. Customize the recipe to your liking. Feel free to add more sugar if you like a sweeter concentrate.
Your favourite gluten-free chai tea latte can be made easily at home using the homemade chai tea concentrate. Use whole spices whenever possible as they have a richer flavour than ground spices.
HOW TO MAKE THE CHAI TEA CONCENTRATE:
- In a large pot bring water to a boil.
- Add the tea bags , spices, cinnamon sticks, vanilla bean, zest and ginger.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes with lid on pot.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in honey and let it stand for another 10-15 minutes.
- Strain concentrate. Discard all the spices and tea bags.
- Pour concentrate into a glass jar and place lid on.
- Store in refrigerator for 2 weeks.
- Use about 1/4 cup of concentrate per mug of chai latte.
Gluten-free homemade chai concentrate is made with a combination of whole spices, black tea and sweetener like brown sugar. Simple, boil, simmer for 25 minutes, strain and enjoy!
TIP: Keep your chai tea concentrate in a bottle in the fridge.
Gluten-free chai tea concentrate is easily a favourite item in my fridge right now. Temperatures have cooled and it’s sweater weather again. A hot chai tea latte fills my soul with warmth and warm spices!
Save money and make yourself this gluten-free chai tea concentrate. Enjoy hot tea lattes all fall and winter.
HERE ARE SOME RECIPES TO GO ALONG WITH THE CHAI CONCENTRATE:
HAVE ANY GLUTEN-FREE QUESTIONS? DM me and I will answer any questions you may have about gluten-free baking or cooking.
Gluten-Free Homemade Chai Tea Concentrate
- 5 cups water
- 10 bags of black tea (earl grey, orange pekoe, or english breakfast)
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 vanilla bean, sliced in half
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 12 whole cloves
- 9 cardamon pods
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- 3 star anise pods
- 1/2 tsp black peppercorns
- 8 corriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger, sliced
- 1 tbsp honey
- In a large pot and bring water to a boil.
- Add tea bags, spices, zest and ginger.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in honey and let it stand for 10-15 minutes.
- Strain concentrate.
- Discard the spices.
- Then pour concentrate into glass jars and keep in refrigerator for 2 weeks.
- Use 1/4 cup of concentrate per large mug.