Turn ripe cantaloupe into a healthy and delicious gluten-free summer salad. Cantaloupe balls are plated with cucumber balls, fresh mint, tangy feta cheese and a squeeze of fresh lime.
This salad does not need a dressing-just a drizzle of olive oil with the fresh lime juice is all that is needed. Sometimes, simple is the best!
I originally posted this recipe on the blog on Sept 2016. It was fun to take new photos ad this time I cut the cantaloupe and cucumbers into balls. I then placed it on the plate in a Tetris type style. Plating the cantaloupe and cucumber salad this way definitely gives it a bit of a wow factor, especially when entertaining. But you could easily just toss all the ingredients into bowl and serve it that way.
A quick and easy gluten-free salad using fresh ingredients. This cantaloupe and cucumber salad with feta is perfect for summertime eating. A great salad when melons are in season.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED TO MAKE THIS SALAD:
- 1/2 Cantaloupe
- Mini Cucumbers
- Olive Oil
- Fresh Mint
- Thai Red Chili (optional)
- Maldon Sea Salt
Sweetness from the cantaloupe, crispness from the cucumbers, saltiness from the feta and fresh mint all make this summer salad taste so good. It is a simple gluten-free summer salad that is both sweet and savoury.
HOW TO MAKE THE SALAD:
- Use a melon baller to scoop balls out of the cantaloupe.
- Set balls aside.
- Lightly peel mini cucumbers.
- Cut cucumbers into squares the size of the balls. Trim corners of square cucumbers to resemble a ball shape.
- Set cucumbers aside.
- In a small bowl whisk the olive oil and lime juice together,
- Chop the fresh mint and slice thinly the Thai red chili pepper and set aside.
- Chop up 1/2 container of feta into crumbles. Set aside.
- To assemble. On a plate alternate the cantaloupe balls with the cucumbers.
- Sprinkle fresh mint, feta and chilies on top.
- Drizzle lime juice and oil on top.
- Sprinkle a bit of salt over all.
Looking for a warm weather, easy to make salad could be any easier. It takes less than 15 minutes to make. This cantaloupe and cucumber salad is healthy and delicious and is a great side dish to bring to your next bbq or picnic. Stay cool and hydrated with this gluten-free salad recipe. Both cantaloupe and cucumber are very high in water content.
HERE ARE MORE SUMMER RECIPES TO TRY:
- Watermelon, Cucumber and Lime Salad
- Simple Caprese Salad
- No-Bake Rocky Road Squares
- No-Bake Peanut Butter Balls
HAVE ANY GLUTEN-FREE QUESTIONS? Have any questions about gluten-free baking or cooking? Send me a DM and I would be happy to help you out.
Cantaloupe and Cucumber Salad
- 1/2 Cantaloupe, cored
- 5-6 mini cucumbers
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese, cow, goat or sheep
- 1 lime, juice
- 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh mint
- Maldon sea salt
- 1 tsp finely chopped red chile pepper Optional
- Use a melon baller to scoop balls out of cantaloupe. Set aside balls.
- Lightly peel the cucumbers.
- Cut cucumbers into square shapes the size of the melon balls.
- Trim the corners of the cucumber squares to make them more ball shape. Set aside.
- Slice the chili pepper into very thin slices.
- Alternate melon balls and cucumber on a plate.
- Whisk the lime juice and olive oil together.
- Sprinkle the fresh mint, feta and chili slices over the melons and cucumbers.
- Drizzle the lime juice/oil over the mixture.
- Serve right away or chill in refrigerator for an hour.