Baking is really my true love in the kitchen and even though I probably have more than enough baked sweets on my blog I had to share another recipe with you.
Gluten Free Pretzel Nut Squares.
Why I especially like this recipe is that it bakes in a 9 X 13 pan. Why would that matter? I remember the days when my kids were younger and I needed squares for a kids party, a hockey wind-up, a family bbq or just another large party.
Having a square in a 9 x 13 pan means you have enough squares to feed a gang of people. I like that.
This square recipe is a perfect combo of sweet and salty. The bottom layer is sweet and caramel-like and the top is salty pretzels.
I warn you NOT to make these squares if you are not able to share them with a group. You will be tempted to eat them all and as someone who is working out at the gym a lot it takes a heck of a ton of pushups and sit-ups to burn the calories off.
Recipe: Gluten Free Pretzel Nut Squares
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup Earth Balance vegan “butter”, softened
- 1 1/2 cups GF flour blend (I like to use Compliments gluten free flour blend that is available at Safeway and Sobeys)
- 1 cup Earth Balance vegan “butter”
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp gluten free vanilla
- 1 cup GF Glutino pretzels
- 1 cup nut mixture (I used pumpkin seeds, walnuts and pecans)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 9 x 13 baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a stand mixer mix the softened vegan “butter” and brown sugar.
- Add the gluten free flour and mix.
- Pat crust mixture onto the bottom of the baking pan.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- In a small saucepan add the vegan “butter, maple syrup, corn syrup, brown sugar and vanilla and heat on medium-high heat.
- Stir and let mixture heat to boiling. Once boiling let cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Sprinkle the nuts and the pretzels over the crust.
- Pour the hot liquid over the top of the bars.
- Place baking pan back in the oven and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Remove and let cool completely before cutting.
- Pour hot mixture over crust