I’m sitting here at the kitchen table trying to type words onto my keyboard as I’m behind on my blogs and having a hard time staying focused. Why is that?
I am suffering with a bad case of spring cleaning! My mind won’t stop obsessing over my really messy closet. Piles of shoes on the floor, scarves piled up on my shelf (actually a lot of them have fallen to the floor), jewelry tangled in a lump, clothing laying on the dresser rather than being hung up and stacks of unread paperbacks begging me to sit down and read.
However here I am at the kitchen table with a large mug of earl grey tea, and a gorgeous March day in Calgary at my window.
Are you thinking about spring cleaning yet? Are you obsessing about something that is taking your mind away from a job you really should be focusing on?
Well, in case you need to take your mind off your obsession and would rather bake some delicious muffins, here is a recipe for you. I’m a total muffin girl, always have been. There is just something about a fresh warm muffin coming out of the oven that makes my stomach happy and makes me smile. It could also be because they are an easy bake item, no stress involved compared to baking a cake or a pie. Heh, I love to do those too but muffins-easy!
Muffins can easily become a dessert item if you are not careful. I remember going to Costco when my kids were really young and everyone was buying those large trays of Costco muffins to put in the kids lunches. I never bought them since I love to bake and preferred to do them myself. What freaked me out was when I found out those muffins have up to 1200 calories each!
Seriously? That is the total calories I used to be on when I was dieting. A whole day packed in to a muffin?
So yes- beware of muffins!
These quinoa dark chocolate chunk muffins you don’t have to be afraid of. They’re made with cooked quinoa, applesauce, and only 1/3 cup of oil for 12 muffins. I think that’s pretty good. Plus you have the added value of quinoa and dark chocolate chunks.
Quinoa Dark Chocolate Chunk Muffins
- 1 cup cooked and cooled quinoa
- 1 cup Only Oats oats(non contaminated)
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- pinch salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup No Nuttin’ dark chocolate chunks
- In a large bowl combine dry ingredients ( oats, rice flour, tapioca starch, cocoa, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum and salt) and whisk to blend.
- In a separate bowl whisk the egg with the canola oil.
- Add the applesauce and whisk again until all is combined.
- Add the quinoa and with a rubber spatula mix well.
- Add dry ingredients to wet mixture and stir until everything is blended together.
- Fold in chocolate chunks.
- Pour batter into lined muffin pan and bake in a 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.