Fall has arrived in Calgary.
It is one of my favorite times of year for you feel like baking, the leaves are changing colors, thanksgiving is coming and of course it is pumpkin time.
This week is yyc pizza week in Calgary and I was asked about 6 weeks ago if I would participate in a Calgary blogger challenge.
This would be my first participation in a blogger competition and I was both excited and nervous. I knew I would make a gluten free and dairy free pizza but I also knew I had not developed a really good gluten free pizza dough recipe yet.
This was my challenge!
I started by working on a gluten free naan dough recipe. Naan is a leavened flatbread mainly used in Eastern households and is a thin dough that is typically cooked in a frying pan.
I was very pleased with the gluten free naan that I had made but felt the dough might work even better as a pizza dough.
I set out to play in the kitchen with this new dough recipe and was thrilled with how it turned out.
Is PIZZA a staple in your house?
Did you give up on gluten free pizza once you couldn’t have gluten anymore?
Well you are in luck. This pizza dough recipe is really good and I know you will love playing with this dough at home.
This recipe is also dairy free. To be clear, dairy free to me is NOT using cow milk. I have 2 kids who cannot do milk dairy but they can do goat and sheep. If you cannot tolerate sheep and goat you can feel free to substitute the non-dairy product of your choosing.
Gluten Free Pizza Dough
- 3 cups gluten free flour blend (I like to use Sobeys Compliments gluten free flour)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp yeast
- 4 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup goat milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup very warm water
- 1 tbsp very warm water
- In a food processor, process the gluten free flour, sugar, baking powder and yeast.
- Add the goat milk and eggs and process til mixed.
- Add the oil and warm water and process.
- Stop once the dough has formed into a ball.
- *Depending on your altitude and humidity you may need to add a bit more warm water if dough is dry or a bit more gluten free flour if dough is too runny.
- Lightly dust your countertop with gluten free flour.
- Drop dough onto floured surface and play with it for a bit to form into a nice ball.
- Lightly grease a glass or ceramic bowl.
- Place dough into bowl.
- Cover with saran wrap then a tea towel.
- Place bowl in a draft free location and let rise for 1-2 hours.
- Divide dough into 2-3 pieces and roll out onto a piece of parchment paper.
- Pizza Dough
- Place pizza stone in oven.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Once oven is hot, take pizza stone out and quickly place the parchment paper topped pizza dough on it.
- Quickly put stone back in oven and cook rolled dough for 7-8 minutes.
- Remove cooked crust and top with all your favorite pizza toppings.
- Again, do as quickly as possible so that stone does not cool down too much.
- Put back in oven and bake pizza for about 10 minutes.