Spicy Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 1 tbsp olive or avocado oil
- 1/2 lb ground chicken (just use 1/2 of a pkg you get in the grocery store)
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tsp each dried oregano, basil, paprika and chile powder (Optional 1 Tbsp sriracha)
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1-1 1/2 cups fresh spinach, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese plus a bit more to crumble over the top of the sweet potato
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the sweet potato on a cookie sheet and bake in the oven for 45-50 minutes or until tender.
- Remove from oven.
- Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Cut sweet potato in half and scoop out most of the flesh.
- Place the halves back on the cookie sheet.
- Place flesh in a medium bowl and mash with a fork.
- Heat a frying pan to medium-high heat.
- Add the ground chicken and olive oil.
- Add the dried spices, chopped onion and optional sriracha.
- Cook the chicken mixture, breaking up the large clumps with a wooden spoon for 10 minutes.
- Add the chopped spinach and the mashed sweet potato flesh to the cooked chicken and stir together.
- Add feta cheese leaving a bit of feta aside to use at the end.
- Divide the stuffing mixture into the sweet potato halves.
- Sprinkle feta over each one.
- Return stuffed sweet potatoes to the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve.
As I am writing this new recipe out for you all it is snowing again in Calgary. It is March and I can honestly say I am very tired of shovelling my driveway, wearing boots, down-filled coats and snow.
Oh so much snow we have had this year.
My thoughts are on spring. I am counting down the days until it is springtime in Calgary.
In the meantime I am inside staying warm and working on a ton of new gluten free recipes for you all.
This will be the first of 6 new recipes coming your way.
How does a stuffed sweet potato sound?