This is the week before Thanksgiving and as promised here is another gluten free recipe.
I wanted to include a recipe for the guests that are vegetarian. Not everyone likes turkey and it is nice to have a dish to serve your guests that do not eat meat.
This pasta dish is delicious and could be enjoyed as a main meal any time of the year even without thanksgiving right around the corner.
I roasted and pureed a small sugar pumpkin for this recipe. There is nothing wrong with canned pumpkin but when we have such a bountiful supply of pumpkins now, why not roast your own.
While this dish does have butter, whipping cream and parmesan cheese in it, you could easily substitute coconut oil, canned coconut cream and omit the parmesan cheese. This would then be a vegan dish.
Gluten-Free Pumpkin Alfredo
- 1 box Barilla GF Penne pasta
- 13 Fresh sage leaves
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 cup pureed pumpkin
- 1 cup whipping cream
- freshly ground nutmeg
- grated parmesan cheese
- Cook gluten free pasta according to package directions.
- Drain and keep ready until sauce is cooked.
- In a large frying pan on low heat sauté the sage leaves in the butter.
- Whisk in the whipping cream and the pureed pumpkin until smooth.
- Add some freshly ground nutmeg.
- Let cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked pasta (about 4 cups) and stir.
- To serve top each dish with grated parmesan cheese.
- *** For the non-vegetarians and vegans you can also top this pasta with fried crumbled bacon.