These homemade gluten-free caramel apples are easy to make and a fun fall tradition. You can never go wrong with the combo of caramel and apples. This recipe was originally posted in Oct 2019 but I have rewritten and updated the blog post.
An easy fall treat that the whole family will love. This gluten-free caramel apple recipe uses simple ingredients. Make your own caramel apples at home for the holidays. Simple, yet oh so delicious caramel apples.
INGREDIENTS NEED TO MAKE THE CARAMEL APPLES:
- Brown sugar
- Light Corn Syrup
- Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Melted Chocolate or White Chocolate
- Sprinkles, Nuts and Seeds, Chocolate Chips
If you have never made homemade caramel apples before you are missing out on some fun. I know they will become a fall favourite in your home too!
WHAT IS THE BEST APPLE FOR CARAMEL APPLES?
I like to use Granny Smith apples for they are tart and crisp. Perfect complement to the sweet caramel sauce. You can use smaller apples for individual caramel apples or sometimes I like to use big apples. With big apples I then slice them up and serve them.
This festive fall and halloween treat is always a family favourite. They are a great dessert to have on your thanksgiving table too. Fun to make, decorate, serve and eat!
I used to love halloween when my kids were young. Making their halloween costumes, decorating the house and making homemade halloween treats to give out to the trick and treaters. Yes-many years ago, we were allowed to give out homemade treats to the kids who came to the door. I loved it all!
HOW TO MAKE THE CARAMEL APPLES:
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and brown sugar.
- Once melted add the corn syrup and stir and increase heat to medium.
- Stir and watch until it comes to a boil.
- Add the condensed milk and stir.
- Place candy thermometer in saucepan and stirring occasionally until temp gets to 250 degrees.
- Do not leave pot unattended while caramel is cooking.
- Once at 250 degrees remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Stick popsicle stick into apples.
- Dip apples into caramel and place on a piece of parchment paper.
- Let sit for 15 minutes to cool.
- Once cool you can melt chocolate and dip bottom of apple into chocolate and then add sprinkles or other toppings.
HERE ARE MORE FALL RECIPES TO TRY:
- Baked Gluten-Free Cinnamon Sugar DonutsBaked Gluten-Free Cinnamon Sugar Donuts
- Gluten-Free Apple Bread
- GF Paleo Walnut Muffins
- Vegan Pumpkin Magic Bars
HAVE ANY GLUTEN-FREE QUESTIONS? DM me if you have any questions about gluten-free baking or cooking.
Gluten-Free Caramel Apples
- medium saucepan
- candy thermometer
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cups light corn syrup
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4-6 Apples(I had very large to small apples)
- Popsicle sticks or wooden skewers
- Melted white or dark chocolate
- Chopped nuts or seeds, sprinkles or chocolate chips
- In a medium saucepan melt the butter and brown sugar.
- Once melted add the corn syrup and heat on medium.
- Stirring and watching until it comes to a boil.
- Add the condensed milk and stir well.
- Add a candy thermometer to the pot.
- Stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon, cook until temperature reaches 250 degrees.
- You don’t really want to leave the pot while this is cooking.
- Remove and stir in vanilla.
- Insert popsicle sticks into apples.
- Dip apples into caramel and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Let sit for 15 minutes.
- Melt chocolate and drizzle over apples and sprinkle with various ingredients.
- Cool in refrigerator.