This is day 16 of my #20daysofcookies campaign to post a new gluten free dairy free recipe each day. Enjoy the other recipes here.
Here is the 16th new cookie recipe for the month of December, #20daysofcookies, where I will share 20 new gluten free cookie recipes from December 1-20. Make sure you subscribe to receive each one!
Do you remember Poppycock?
As a kid it was a caramel popcorn treat that came in a large tin. It was a special treat that we only had at Christmas.
I was planning out my new cookie recipes and thought of Poppycock. Why not make a gluten and dairy free cookie with vegan caramel, popcorn and pecans.
This cookie has 2 steps.
- Make the vegan caramel on the stove and cool it in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours,
- then make the cookie dough.
This cookie dough does not need to be refrigerated so feel free to make the vegan caramel ahead of time.
Gluten Free Poppycock Cookies
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance vegan “butter”, softened
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance vegan “shortening”, softened
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon and nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 1/2 cups gluten free flour (I like to use Compliments gluten free flour blend)
- 1/2 cups chopped toasted pecans
- 1 cup unsalted popped popcorn
- * extra popcorn and pecans to top cookies, see instructions
- 1/4 cup vegan caramel **
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl mix the pecans and popcorn with the vegan caramel.
- In a stand mixer cream the butter and shortening together with the brown sugar.
- Beat on medium speed.
- Scrape sides of bowl occasionally.
- Add the baking soda, spices and salt and mix again.
- Beat in the eggs and vanilla until smooth.
- Again scraping sides of bowl.Add the gluten free flour blend and mix on low speed.
- Increase speed to medium and beat until batter is smooth.
- Stir in the caramel popcorn/pecan mixture into the batter.
- Use a medium ice cream scoop to drop dough onto lined cookie sheet.
- Press dough down and place some *popcorn, pecans and a drizzle of caramel on each cookie before baking.
- Bake in oven for 12 minutes.
- 1 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- In a small saucepan whisk the coconut milk with the brown sugar.
- Heat on medium/high heat watching and stirring until mixture boils.
- Turn down to low/medium and cook for 15 minutes.
- Stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and cool in refrigerator.