Falling leaves and cooler temperatures means more meals made inside rather then outside these days. I’ve made this recipe now a few times and it is always delicious and easy to make.
Using the MyTime Slow Cooker I can adjust the cooking cycle based on when I want to eat and I really like that.
When I made this pork shoulder I started the crockpot at 10 pm for I wanted the meat finished cooking in the morning. Pork shoulder should be cooked 8-10 hours so it made sense to start it at night for me.
In the morning I shredded the pork and cooked it in the oven on high to get crispy brown edges. The pork carnitas can be used in tacos, burritos, carnita bowls , salads and more.
This slow cooker pork carnita recipe is an easy dinner your family will love. Using the crockpot makes meals so much easier, just throw a bunch of stuff in the pot, plug it in, schedule your meal and walk away. You come home to a house that smells divine!
You can shred the pork and eat it right out of the slow cooker but I love to add an extra step and cook it in the oven. You remove the pork shoulder, shred it and place 1/2 on a cookie sheet. Ladle a bit of the cooking liquid over the meat and cook it on a high heat to get the brown edges.
That’s my favorite part.
This is one fine meal and I can’t wait for you to try the recipe.
Here is the recipe.Print
Recipe: Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas
Pork carnitas made extra easy by using the slow cooker. They are crispy, tender and full of flavor.
- Pork shoulder roast 1.85 kg(4 lbs)
- 1/2 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 Tbsp chile powder
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1/2 Tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp dried cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp crushed peppercorns
- 1 small can diced green chilies
- 1 cup water
- Brown the pork shoulder in a frying pan on all sides. Browning brings out a lot of extra flavor in the pork. Add pork shoulder to crockpot.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the slow cooker. Cook the pork shoulder 8-10 hours on low.
- I decided to cook the pork shoulder overnight.
- At 10 pm I set the MyTime slow cooker to meat, 2 lbs, half full and then adjusted the time to be done for 8 am.
- In the morning I removed the pork shoulder and shredded it with a fork.
- I added 1/2 the shredded pork to a cookie sheet.
- Ladle some of the reserved liquid and onions over the pulled pork.
- Add it to a 450 degree oven and cook for 10 minutes.
- Toss and bake until the pork has browned edges about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove crispy pork and repeat with remaining shredded pork.