I’ve decided I really need to share more meal type recipes on this blog and will be starting with this new recipe for lentil veggie shepherds pie. If you are trying to get your kids to eat more veggies or another option for Meatless Monday this recipe will do the trick!
Warm spices, butternut squash, lentils and tomatoes simmered on the stove for awhile then spooned into oven proof dishes and topped with creamy mashed potatoes and then baked for 30 minutes.
How does that sound to you?
I am also planning on sharing more hosting tips and ways to entertain gluten free!
While this recipe does have a few extra steps it is not a complicated recipe. There are 4 steps to this recipe.
- Chop all veggies and mix base ingredients and simmer on stove for about an hour.
- Cook and then mash potatoes.
- Spoon base mixture into small oven proof dishes and top with the creamy mashed potatoes.
- Top mixture with shredded cheese if you like and bake in oven for 30 minutes.
That’s it! Not too bad, right?
Recipe: Lentil Veggie Shepherds Pie
Makes enough for 4-6 servings depending on size of oven proof dishes
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 cups butternut squash, chopped into small pieces
- 1 can lentils, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp cardamon
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp fennel
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 can (540 ml/ 19 fl oz) diced tomatoes
- 1/2 litre gluten free vegetable stock
- 6 potatoes, peeled, boiled and then mashed.
- 1 cup shredded cheese (optional topping)
- Heat olive oil on low in a medium saucepan.
- Add the onion, garlic and spices and sauté on low heat stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes.
- Add butternut squash, carrots and celery and increase heat to medium.
- Cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, canned tomatoes, vegetable stock and lentils and cook on medium heat for 15 minutes. Stir.
- Turn heat to low, cover pan and simmer for an hour.
- In a medium saucepan filled with water add potatoes, cover and cook until tender.
- Drain potatoes and mash.
- Add a Tbsp butter (or vegan “butter) and a bit of milk (or goats milk) to mashed potatoes and mix until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spoon lentil veggie mixture into oven proof dishes about 3/4 full.
- Top with mashed potatoes and then optional shredded cheese.
- Place dishes on a cookie sheet and place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove and serve!
Looking for Delicious Salad Recipes?
In my Gluten Free Salads Cookbook you can find 27 other delicious recipes your friends and family will love, including: Cucumber Herb Salad, Roasted Strawberry Goat Cheese Salad, Sesame Noodle Salad and many more. Purchase yours today.
Share this recipe with your friends: