This is day 5 of my #20daysofcookies campaign to post a new gluten free dairy free recipe each day. Enjoy the other recipes here.
Do you like shortbread?
I like my shortbread not too sweet and cold. Yep, cold. I prefer to keep my shortbread cookies in the refrigerator.
Are you a cold cookie eater or a warm cookie eater?
Here is the 5th new cookie recipe for the month of December, #20daysofcookies, where I will share 20 new gluten free cookie recipes from December 1-20. Make sure you subscribe to receive each one!
With posting a new cookie recipe every day for the first 20 days of December I’ve decided not to gab your ears off with what is happening in my life. I am still posting on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram so check out my feeds. You’ll see what I am up to on a daily, sometimes on an hourly basis.
Recipe: Citrus Coconut Macadamia Shortbread
- 1 cup Earth Balance vegan “butter”
- 3/4 cup icing sugar
- 1 tsp gluten free vanilla
- 1/2 tsp lemon extract
- zest from 1 lemon
- 3/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 2 cups gluten free flour blend (I like to use Compliments gluten free flour blend)
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup finely chopped macadamia nuts
- In a small bowl whisk the gluten free flour blend, baking powder and salt.
- In a stand mixer beat the vegan “butter until creamy. Gradually add the icing sugar and beat until smooth.
- Add vanilla, lemon extract and lemon zest.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and beat on low speed until blended.
- Add the coconut and macadamia nuts. Stir to combine.
- Shape dough into a long log and wrap in saran wrap.
- Place in refrigerator for 3-4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Slice cookie log into 1/2 inch slices.
- Place slices on cookie sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool.