Cake roll. Jelly roll. Jam roll. Log cake.
What were they called when you were a kid? What do you call this spongy cake that you bake on a cookie sheet, roll up and fill with jam, whipped cream, or a fruit filling?
I have been playing with cake roll recipes lately. These cake rolls or jelly rolls were something I grew up with and I’ve been trying hard to perfect a gluten-free version to share here.
This time I worked on a gluten-free chocolate cake roll. One that you can fill with cherry pie filling and whipped cream for a holiday dessert. Or just simply raspberry jam and enjoy it with a cup or tea or a glass of milk.
I will be sharing more cake roll recipes this year. I’ve made a keto/low carb matcha cake roll that is light and perfect for dessert. I have also made a classic gluten free version of a vanilla jam roll.
I can’t wait to share more baking recipes here.Print
Recipe: Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake Roll
A spongy chocolate cake roll that you can fill with jam, whipped cream or any fruit filling.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Add egg whites to a stand mixer and beat until soft peaks form.
- Add 1/3 cup sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- In a medium bowl beat the egg yolks and the other 1/3 cup of sugar until it is thick and creamy.
- Add the oil, hazelnut flavor and cocoa and beat well.
- Fold the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture as well as the gluten free flour until blended.
- Pour batter onto lined cookie sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes.
- While baking take out a few towel and wet it so it’s damp.
- Lay towel on counter.
- Sprinkle cocoa powder over towel.
- Remove cake roll from oven and invert it onto tea towel.
- Gently remove parchment paper.
- Carefully roll up cake roll.
- For filling I whipped up cream until thick with a bit of sweetener. I also made a cherry filling using frozen cherries, sweetener and cornstarch.
- Carefully open up roll.
- Spread a bit of whipped cream all over roll.
- Add cherry filling.
- Gently roll up and place on a serving plate.
- Cover roll with whipped cream and cherry filling.