I found an old binder of mine the other day and in it was a collection of recipes from my pre-celiac days.
Recipes I used to make all the time for my family.
After being gluten free now for a number of years and feeling pretty confident in my gluten free baking I thought I would take out a couple of the recipes and see if I could make them gluten free and still taste as good as ever.
One of the recipes was a banana muffin recipe that had All-Bran in it.
All-Bran is definitely NOT gluten free and bran in itself is not. However now we can find rice bran in the health food stores and so I decided I would give this recipe a switch-up.
I am so very pleased that I did and will definitely be making these muffins again.
The original recipe was written on a piece of paper with no name on it so I hope the original writer will be happy with the changes I made to it.
Recipe: Gluten Free Banana Bran Muffins
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2-3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1 tsp gluten free vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup rice bran
- 1 cup gluten free flour blend (I like to use Compliments gluten free flour blend that I can get at Safeway or Sobeys)
- 1 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a muffin tin with 9-10 cupcake liners.
- In a stand mixer beat the white sugar, mashed bananas, oil, egg and vanilla.
- In a small bowl whisk the gluten free flour, rice bran, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and mix on medium speed until batter is quite light.
- Add in the chocolate chips and mix.
- Spoon batter into the cupcake liners.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove and cool.