Sorry I have not posted a new recipe since July but I’ve been enjoying our gorgeous summer we have been having in Calgary since I got back from my trip to Toronto.
For everyone that has been following me on facebook you are aware that after recovering from a knee injury this winter I am back to walking a ton (20000 steps/day), have biked the Banff Legacy Trail a few times this summer and have been kayaking.
Last weekend we took the kayaks out to Two Jack Lake for our first solo adventure. I was nervous for normally someone helps you into the water and out of the kayak at the end when you rent them but I think our trip was a success.
This summer has been full of activity and fun but I thought I’d better share a few new recipes with you since it has been awhile.
Right now in Calgary the markets have an abundance of fresh local corn and my favorite way to cook corn on the cob is to bbq it.
Drizzle the corn on the cob with a bit of olive oil, wrap it in aluminum foil and place in a medium heat bbq for 20-25 minutes.
Normally I bbq 4-6 cobs of corn so that I have leftover bbq corn in the fridge for salads.
This recipe for Avocado Grilled Corn Cobb Salad is a great way of enjoying the fresh veggies you can get at the farmers markets right now.
Recipe: Avocado Grilled Corn Cobb Salad
This salad serves 2-3
- 1 cup spiralized zucchini
- 1 cup spiralized carrots
- 1/2 head butter lettuce
- 2 cobs of corn bbq’d
- 2 hard boiled eggs, cut in 1/2
- 2 chicken breasts, bbq’d and sliced
- 1 cup baby tomatoes
- 1 cup cucumbers, sliced
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
Avocado Creme Dressing
- 1/2 avocado
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 tsp, jalapeno, chopped
- Pinch of salt
- Add all ingredients to a magic bullet or small food processor and blend well.
- Pour into a small bowl.
Olive Oil Dressing
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp fresh lime juice
- Add all ingredients to a small mason jar. Place the lid on and shake well to blend.
- To assemble salad first lay butter leaf lettuce onto a platter.
- Place the other ingredients onto the platter, arranging the individual ingredients to fill the platter.
- Pour 1/2 of the olive oil dressing on to the salad ingredients.
- Serve the salad with the avocado creme and remainder of olive oil dressing on the side.