Mexican street corn, or elotes, is a traditional Mexican food that is quick to make at home and is super additive. It is a perfect corn recipe to try this summer on your barbecue. Mexican street corn is a street food, but one you can easily make at home. It is super simple and fun to eat!
You make Mexican street corn by grilling corn on the cob, and then slathering them with spices, fresh herbs, Crema and shredded cheese. It is a perfect summer bbq corn recipe. Corn on the cob grilled until tender and then slathered with a creamy spicy topping.
Corn on the cob is a summer staple in our home. We are lucky enough to have some of the best corn grown locally here. I always look forward to seeing the first Taber corn truck parked in the YMCA parking lot and pulling over and getting a dozen ears of corn.
It hits the spot every time and is an easy meal to make by just adding a chicken breast or steak to the grill.
This corn on the cob is the perfect summertime grilled corn recipe.
I was introduced to Elote, or Mexican Street Corn a year ago and loved it. Grilling corn this way is now a favourite here and it tastes absolutely delicious. It takes corn on the cob to a whole new level!
Mexican Street Corn is an authentic and delicious side for any summer meal. Bbq’d corn on the cob, smothered in a Crema, spices, fresh herbs and cheese. Your family will gobble this grilled corn up!
INGREDIENTS NEEDED TO MAKE THIS GRILLED CORN:
- 4 cobs of corn
- 1 Tbsp olive or avocado oil
- Shredded Cotija or parmesan cheese
- Sour Cream
- Fresh Cilantro
- Green Onion
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- Chili Powder
HERE ARE SOME RECIPES TO SERVE WITH THE GRILLED CORN:
- Gluten-Free Burger with bacon, tangy rhubarb bbq sauce
- Gluten-Free Vegan Chickpea Burger
- Simple Caprese Salad
- Jicama, Carrot and Apple Slaw
HOW TO MAKE THE MEXICAN STREET CORN:
- Heat up the bbq to a medium heat.
- Coat the corn on the cobs with oil.
- In a small bowl add the mayo, sour cream, cheese, cilantro, green onion, lime zest and juice as well as the chili powder.
- Stir well.
- Cook the corn on the cob on the bbq until all sides are lightly charred.
- Watch corn closely and flip constantly.
- Once corn is done, place corn on a platter and smother them in the crema.
- Serve and enjoy!
My recipe for Mexican street corn is super easy and everyone will love this way of eating corn on the cob. Make this Mexican street corn at home on our grill because it is an easy recipe and is so flavourful. If you ever wonder what you can put on corn on the cob instead of butter and salt, this recipe is it!
HERE ARE SOME CORN RECIPES TO TRY:
- Gluten-Free Corn Pancakes
- Avocado and Grilled Corn Cobb Salad
- Mexican Chicken and Corn Salad
- Gluten-Free Chipotle Chicken, Corn and Bacon Soup
QUESTIONS ABOUT GLUTEN-FREE? Send me a DM with any questions you may have regarding gluten-free baking or cooking.
I encourage you to pick up some local corn on the cob and make this recipe for your family.
Mexican Street Corn
- small bowl
- Heat up the bbq.
- Coat the corn with the oil.
- In a small bowl add the mayo, sour cream, cheese, cilantro, green onion , lime juice and zest as well as the Chile powder.
- Stir well.
- Cook on the bbq on medium heat until lightly charred.
- Watching closely and constantly flip the corn.
- Once corn is done cooking, place corn on a plate and spread sauce all over corn.