This easy gluten and dairy-free sugar cookie recipe is perfect for your cut-out cookies. The dough rolls beautifully and is wonderful to use with all your favourite cookie cutters.
These gluten-free sugar cookies are a holiday favourite in my house. My favourite part of these cookies is after they are baked. I love using a paint brush to paint the icing on the cookies.
Have you tried using a paint brush to icing cookies?
This is one of my favourite holiday cookie recipes and I would love to hear when you make them yourself.
Please note this recipe has been update and new photos added. This recipes was originally posted December 2014.
These gluten-free dairy-free sugar cookies are medium soft when baked but if you want a crispier cookie bake them for 2 minutes more. You can easily double the recipe for a larger batch.
Making Gluten and Dairy-Free Sugar Cookies
These sugar cookies are easily made with ingredients you probably have on hand. All you need is:
. Gluten-Free Flour
. Vegan Butter
. non-dairy milk
Simply whisk the dry ingredients together. Beat the butter and sugar together and add in the egg, milk and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients and mix on low-medium speed until you have a smooth dough. Chill in fridge and then you are ready to roll out the dough.
Other Holiday cookies you might want to try:
Gluten Free Dairy Free Sugar Cookies
- 2/3 cup Earth Balance vegan “butter”, softened
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups gluten free flour blend 1 to 1
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla
- * tapioca starch is needed when you go to roll out sugar cookies.
- In a stand mixer beat the vegan “butter” with the sugar for a minute.
- Scrape sides of bowl when needed.
- Add the baking powder and salt and mix for a second.
- Add in the egg, goat milk and vanilla and beat again until smooth.
- Scrape sides of bowl as needed.
- Slowly add the gluten free flour on low speed.
- Increase speed to medium and beat until you have a smooth batter.
- Place batter into the refrigerator for a couple of hours to chill.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Lightly flour you countertop with the tapioca starch.
- Cut dough in 1/2 and roll out dough with a rolling pin.
- Dust top of dough when you are rolling it out.
- Use cookie cutters and cut-out shapes in the rolled dough.
- Place cut-outs on lined cookie sheets and bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Let cool completely before icing them.
- I like to use a small paintbrush when I icing my cookies.
- I mix icing sugar with a small amount of goat milk and then food coloring.
- This technique is great for kids too.
- They love to PAINT cookies! I find when the icing dries it looks a lot like stained glass too.
Recipe originally shared Dec 2014. Recipe and images were updated December 2020.