Gluten free pasta. Fresh pasta, not the dried stuff you buy in the grocery store. Nope, this is the real thing. And guess what? It is a really easy thing to make. Do not be intimidated by the thought of fresh pasta. If you can roll out sugar cookies, you can make pasta.
I am heading off to Sante Fe for a week, so this is a short post. I cannot wait to eat there. Fresh corn tortillas, many different varieties of chilis. To me, it is a mecca of gluten free foods to be eaten and enjoyed. I am taking a couple of cooking classes while I am there and will share what I learn on further posts.
Enjoy the pasta!
Gluten Free Pasta Dough
- 1 1/2 cups sweet rice flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 5 eggs
- Combine all dry ingredients in a stand mixer and incorporate well.
- Add eggs one at a time on low until a smooth dough forms and pulls away from sides of bowl.
- Remove dough from bowl.
- Cover your dough with a damp towel to ensure it does not dry out.
- Prepare your counter by sprinkling tapioca starch on your work surface as well as dusting your rolling pin with starch.
- Roll out dough onto counter, try to get as thin as possible-adding more starch as you go so that the dough does not stick to your rolling pin.
- Slice pasta with a knife.
- Add pasta in batches to a large boiling, salted pasta pot.
- Fresh pasta only takes minutes to cook so watch closely.
- This pasta was so tasty on its own that I served it with just fresh butter and Parmesan cheese.