I’ve seen a lot of watermelon salads on blogs this summer. Most are quite simple in their flavors with just watermelon and feta cheese. I wanted to see what kind of watermelon salad I could come up with, and I’m very pleased with myself.
I added grilled apricots to this salad and found grilling added to their taste.
This salad has sweet, salty, crunchy, tangy and creamy components. It is also a very easy salad to make. I like salads that you can just whip up. Living through a house renovation has taught me that I can live without varied appliances, that I can make dishes quickly and still have a great meal.
Now, don’t think I won’t love having my kitchen back. I literally, can’t wait. But this reno has taught me to cook more simply, that using very good ingredients make all the difference in a dish. I take a little more time planning my cooking rather than the cooking time. I try to have a lot of senses involved in my dishes and try to layer the flavors.
This salad to me has many layers and I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.
Watermelon Herbed Cheese Salad
- 6 apricots, cut in half
- 1/2 cup macadamia nuts (toasted)
- 3 cups cubed watermelon
- 2-3 cups butter lettuce, chopped
- 1/2 small log herbed goat cheese
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh mint
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh basil
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 tbsp good olive oil
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp Maldon Sea Salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- On a low heat on the BBQ, grill apricots for 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Using a small aluminum dish, toast the macadamia nuts on the BBQ for 5-8 min, tossing the nuts to avoid any burning. (I am without a kitchen right now, but you can toast the nuts in a frying pan on the stove. Watch closely to not burn.)
- In a medium bowl, combine the cubed watermelon, chopped herbs, butter lettuce, lime juice, olive oil and the salt and pepper.
- Let sit for 10 minutes to allow herbs and lime to infuse watermelon.
- Toss gently.
- Add toasted macadamia nuts, chunks of goat cheese and very lightly toss.
- Plate salad on individual plates.
- Add 3-4 apricot halves on top of watermelon salad.
- Enjoy! (And don’t forget to comment and let me know what you think.)