Here is another stuffed burger recipe for Burger Fridays! It was inspired from my love of Greek salad and feta cheese. Oh, I love good feta cheese, especially a sheep/goat soft feta that I get at Kalamata Grocery store here in Calgary. The feta is in large barrels and the clerk will cut out a chunk depending on how much you want. It melts in your mouth.
This burger is full of mediterranean herbs and spices, then filled with a cube of feta. Doesn’t that sound good? The burger also has roasted garlic in it. Roasted garlic changes the sharpness of raw garlic to a sort of sweet quality. Normally I would roast bulbs of garlic in my oven, but as you all know, I am without one for the summer. So, what to do?
I wrapped the bulbs in aluminum foil and tossed it on the BBQ on the lowest heat for an hour. The BBQ really added a smokiness to the garlic.
We’ve had great weather so far this summer, and I have been enjoying the beautiful sunsets I can capture on our balcony.
And our ravine behind our house is blooming with prairie flowers.
- Cut tops off whole garlic bulbs. Place garlic bulbs on aluminum foil and then pour a small amount of olive oil over the bulbs. Wrap the bulbs well with the aluminum foil. Place the wrapped bulbs on the lowest heat of BBQ and roast for 1 hour.
- Remove from heat. Squeeze bottom of garlic to remove roasted garlic.
- Cut tops off whole garlic bulbs.
- Place garlic bulbs on aluminum foil and then pour a small amount of olive oil over the bulbs.
- Wrap the bulbs well with the aluminum foil.
- Place the wrapped bulbs on the lowest heat of BBQ and roast for 1 hour.
- Remove from heat.
- Squeeze bottom of garlic to remove roasted garlic.
- 1 cup greek plain yogurt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 mini cucumbers
- 1 tbsp fresh dill
- 1 whole roasted garlic bulb
- 1 lemon juice
- In vitamix add all ingredients and on high, blend until smooth.
Greek Stuffed Chicken Burger
- 1 pkg ground chicken
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried green chili flakes
- 1 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
- 1 tbsp finely chopped dill
- 1 whole bulb roasted garlic *
- 1/8 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 tsp herbs de provence
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 inch square feta cheese per burger
- In a medium bowl combine ground chicken with ingredients listed, except feta cheese and olive oil.
- Mix well.
- Divide mixture into 2 portions(these make large patties).
- Flatten ground chicken mixture in your palm
- Place a cube of feta in the middle of the chicken and wrap meat around cheese, forming a patty.
- Pour the olive oil onto a plate and place chicken patties on the plate, flipping over to coat the burgers with the oil. (Oiling your patty prevents the chicken burger from sticking to BBQ grill).
- Heat BBQ to medium heat and cook chicken burgers for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove burgers from BBQ. Place the burgers on a large lettuce leaf, then top with tzatziki sauce (see below) and a large heirloom tomato.
- Wrap lettuce leaf around your chicken burger and enjoy!