The other afternoon I was going through possible recipes for my cookbook and I came across beef stew.
One of the ideas for my cookbook is to fill it with meals, desserts and comfort foods that I grew up with. Just converting them now to gluten free. (If this sounds good to you, can you please comment below and tell me!)
Of course, beef stew is a meal that is not only a comfort food, but it is also an easy supper to make. It’s a meal that while cooking on low heat in the oven, can fill your house with a delicious smell.
Beef stew was a meal I used to make when the kids were little. It’s an inexpensive meal for the family. I could get tough cuts of meat on sale, such as round steaks or a small roast and then fill the pot with potatoes and carrots. Not only was it a delicious hot supper for my family, but it really was a fairly cheap one.
Again, while going through recipes to convert to gluten free, beef stew naturally fell on the list.
I had a problem though, I was also thinking about Mexican. Mexican spices and flavours.
What to do?
Make tacos for supper or continue with making a beef stew?
Why couldn’t I do both?
Well, I did just that and was very pleased with the end results. The only thing I didn’t have in the house was fresh gluten free corn tortillas so I ran to Salsita my local Mexican food store and picked some up.
This stew would be a great Sunday dinner meal. I’m looking at doing a weekly Sunday dinner suggestion. The idea came from Simply Bites and blogger, Aimee’s twitter suggestions for Sunday dinner.
I find making family dinners fairly easy and felt that while I had a pretty good handle on making a full gluten free meal, that I should probably share the menus of what I serve.
Would that be something you’d like to see? When should I post the dinner ideas? Is Thursday early enough in the week? (Again, please comment, I’d really appreciate your feedback.)
Gluten-Free Mexican Beef Stew
- 1 large pkg beef stewing meat (.93 kg or about 2 pounds)
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1/2 large onion, sliced
- 1/2 jar Mezzetta deli-sliced tamed jalapeño peppers
- 1 yellow and green pepper, sliced
- 2 cups Kitchen Basics gluten free beef broth
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp red chile powder
- 1 tsp green chili crushed
- 1 tsp gluten free taco seasoning
- Gluten free fresh corn tortillas
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- In a Le Crueset Dutch oven heat up the canola oil on medium heat.
- Remove stewing meat from pkg, rinse and dry thoroughly with a paper towel.
- Adding small batches of the stewing meat, brown the meat.
- Remove each batch before adding another.
- Once all meat has been browned, add it back to the pot.
- Add all the spices, sliced onion, green pepper, yellow pepper, jalapeños and the beef broth.Stir to combine.
- Place covered Dutch oven into oven and cook for 3 hours.
- Remove from oven.
- Wrap corn tortillas in aluminum foil and place in oven. Let warm for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve the stew with pico de gallo, guacamole, shredded cheese, fresh cilantro, sour cream and slices of lime.