Do any of you remember puffwheat squares? I’m sure if I looked through childhood photos there would be pictures of my cousins and I eating them. I loved them as a kid and was craving a large chocolate square the other day. There is a problem though- Puffwheat!
Yep, wheat that is puffed. Can’t do it anymore! Do you have childhood treats that you can’t eat anymore? Have you tried to make them gluten free?
These buckwheat squares make a great treat for school lunches, however for myself as I no longer make school lunches it’s just a yummy treat! No excuse needed.
I found Sunrise Puffs an Organic Puffed Buckwheat at Amaranth Whole Foods here in Calgary.
I’ve also updated my recipe by using Bernard Callebaut cocoa. When I was a kid we used the canned cocoa for recipes but now that I’m a grown up, why not use really good chocolate?
If you’ve missed puffwheat squares I hope you give these buckwheat puffs a try and if you are new to buckwheat puffs just give the recipe a go. You wont regret it!
Gluten Free Chocolate Buckwheat Puff Squares
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp gf vanilla
- 1/4 cup Bernard Callebaut cocoa
- 8-10 cups Organic Puffed Buckwheat
- In a large pot, melt the butter with the corn syrup, brown sugar and cocoa.
- Increase temperature to medium, stirring a lot, until mixture starts to boil.
- Let it boil for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla.
- Add buckwheat puffs and stir to combine.
- Put mixture into a greased 9 x 13 pan, and lightly press down.