These gluten-free buckwheat pancakes are delicious for breakfast and are easy to make. They are tender, moist and have a nutty flavour. Buckwheat pancakes are perfect for a quick weekday breakfast or on slow weekend mornings.
When our kids were young we used to eat pancakes for dinner at least once a week. We were busy with swim, hockey and luge practices that mornings were too hectic for pancakes. We all loved to eat pancakes for dinner- or brinner it is called.
Have you tried making pancakes with buckwheat flour? Or any recipes using buckwheat flour, groats or puffs? This recipe only uses one flour-buckwheat flour in it. A recipe that only uses ONE flour is a good thing, especially when so many gluten-free recipes call for multiple flours in them. This buckwheat pancake recipe itself is pretty simple. Start your morning with stack of these fluffy buckwheat pancakes favoured with nutmeg and cinnamon. Try heating up the maple syrup before you drizzle on the pancakes for a fun change.
IS BUCKWHEAT GLUTEN-FREE?
Despite being called buckwheat, there is no wheat involved. Buckwheat is highly nutritious whole grain that contains NO GLUTEN. Buckwheat is a good source of protein, fibre and energy. It is similar to quinoa in that it is a grain-like seed.
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE THE PANCAKES?
- Buckwheat Flour
- Baking Soda
- Gluten-free Baking Powder
- Hemp Hearts
- Melted Butter or Oil
- Egg Separated
The gluten-free buckwheat pancakes are fluffy, a bit of sweet and the perfect canvas for a good drizzle of maple syrup. This buckwheat pancake recipe is a great way to start your day with whole grains, protein and fibre. Due to the whole grain and high fibre content in the pancakes I find one pancake is quite filling for me.
Whole grains have been shown to help reduce the risk of asthma, lower the risk of some cancers, type 2 diabetes, strokes and heart disease. This gluten-free recipe only uses 1 Tbsp of sugar for 8 medium pancakes. There is no need to add more to the batter. Once you have topped the pancakes with maple syrup and fresh fruit, they are plenty sweet.
HOW TO MAKE THE PANCAKES:
- In a small bowl beat the egg white until it forms soft peaks.
- Mix buckwheat flour, hemp hearts, baking soda and powder, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt in a bowl and whisk.
- In a large bowl use a hand mixer to be the egg yolk, vanilla, melted butter and milk together.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix on low speed until combined.
- Fold in the egg whites.
- Heat up a griddle or frying pan on medium heat.
- Add a bit of butter to the pan.
- Pour about 1/4 cup pancake batter onto pan and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Flip and cook for about a minute.
- Remove and repeat with the rest of the batter.
Here are some more pancake recipes to try:
- Gluten-Free Corn Pancakes
- Pink Paleo Pancakes
- Gluten and Dairy-Free Banana Chocolate Chip Pancake
- Gluten and Dairy-Free Chia Pancakes
Want more recipes? Subscribe to get new recipes delivered to your inbox. And be sure to stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest. I really would love to hear from you? DM me any questions you might have about the recipe or about gluten-free.
Gluten free Buckwheat Pancakes
- frying pan or griddle
- measuring cups
- hand mixer
- In a small bowl beat egg white until it forms soft peaks.
- Mix buckwheat flour, hemp hearts, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt in a bowl.
- Whisk together.
- In a large bowl use a hand mixer to beat the vanilla, egg yolk, melted butter and milk together until combined.
- Add dry ingredients and mix on low speed until combined.
- Fold in the egg whites.
- Heat up a frying pan or griddle to medium heat.
- Drop about 1/4 cup of pancake batter onto hot pan and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Flip and cook for another minute.
- Remove from heat and repeat with remaining batter.