It is November so I am working on new holiday cookie recipes and these pumpkin walnut cookies will be a hit for your family. They are also lower in sugar then most of my recipes for I used Swerve sweetener in them.
I love to bake but I am also very aware that we should be watching how much sugar we have in our diets. Gluten free flours have a higher carb content then regular white flour so I am looking for ways to cut back a bit on the sugar in my recipes.
While I am trying to cut back the sugar in my recipes I am not cutting back on taste or quality.
No one will know that these gluten free cookies are a bit healthier version.
In fact, I am sure everyone will be asking for 2 or 3 of these cookies.
Pumpkin Walnut Cookie
- 1/2 cup reg Swerve sweetener
- 1/4 cup brown sugar Swerve sweetener
- 1 cup softened butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup pumpkin purée
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cloves, cardamom and nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free flour blend
- 1 cup raw, chopped walnuts
- Icing –
- 5 tbsp butter
- 1/3 cup brown sugar Swerve sweetener
- 1/4 cup icing sugar Swerve sweetener
- 1/2 tsp vanilla and finely chopped raw walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silpat liner.
- In a stand mixer add the butter and sweeteners and mix.
- Add the egg and pumpkin purée and beat.
- Scrape sides of bowl and beat again.
- Add the baking powder, soda, spices and gluten free flour.
- Beat on low speed until batter is smooth.
- Stir in walnuts.
- Use an ice cream scoop to drop batter onto lined pan.
- Bake in oven for 11-13 minutes.
- Remove and cool.Icing- in saucepan add butter and brown sugar and heat until melted.
- Remove from heat.
- Add vanilla and whisk well.
- Add icing sugar and whisk.
- Use a spoon to add a dollop of icing onto each cookie.
- Sprinkle with a bit of walnuts.