“Venti 1/2 sweet Chai tea latte with Lactaid.”
That’s my favorite drink from Starbucks during the winter season. These days that drink costs me around $5.00 which is crazy. I love Starbucks but I’m finding the increased prices a bit much.
So what to do?
Well in the fall I made homemade pumpkin spice syrup so that I could make my own pumpkin spice tea lattes. Now I can make my own 1/2 sweet chai lattes in the comfort of my own home, and so can you! ????
This concentrate has very little brown sugar in it but feel free to increase the amount if you have a real sweet tooth.This concentrate makes an excellent Christmas gift as well. Store it in a decorative glass jar.
Gluten-Free Homemade Chai Concentrate
- 5 cups water
- 10 bags of black tea (earl grey, orange pekoe, or english breakfast)
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 vanilla bean, sliced in half
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 12 whole cloves
- 9 cardamon pods
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- 3 star anise pods
- 1/2 tsp black peppercorns
- 8 corriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger, sliced
- 1 tbsp honey
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil.
- Add tea bags, spices, zest and ginger.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in honey and let it stand for 10-15 minutes.
- Strain concentrate.
- Discard the spices.
- Then pour concentrate into glass jars and keep in refrigerator for 2 weeks.
- Use 1/4 cup of concentrate per large mug.
- I use a combination of milk, water and concentrate for my chai latte.