This is day 2 of my #20DaysOfCookies campaign to post a new gluten free dairy free recipe each day. Enjoy recipe #1: Snickerdoodle here.
Biscotti: A twice-baked cookie ideally suited for dunking into a hot beverage.
Biscotti is a hard cookie and that is why it is best used for dunking in a cup of tea or hot coffee. (You know I love my tea! Share your favorite tea with my: #TeaWithCarrie)
Today I am sharing a recipe for gluten free and dairy free hazelnut biscotti. This is recipe two for #20DaysofCookies, where I will share 20 new gluten free cookie recipes from Dec 1-20. Make sure you subscribe to receive each one!
Did you try the Gluten Free Snickerdoodle cookie recipe I posted yesterday?
I hope you did. And you will with today’s as well:
Gluten Free Hazelnut Biscotti
- 1 1/4 cups hazelnuts
- 2 large eggs plus 1 large egg yolk
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 2/3 cup gluten free flour blend (I used Compliments gluten free flour blend)
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp gluten free vanilla
- 1/2 tsp cloves and cinnamon
- zest from 1 orange
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Spread hazelnuts on the cookie sheet and bake for 7 minutes.
- Remove hazelnuts from oven and wrap in a tea towel.
- Fold tea towel closed and roll the nuts on counter to remove as much as the skin aspossible.
- Discard the skin and coarsely chop the nuts.
- Line the cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs plus egg yolk with a hand mixer.
- Add the sugar and beat until the mixture is pale and thick.
- In a small bowl mix the gluten free flour blend, spices and salt.
- Add flour mixture, hazelnuts, vanilla and lemon zest to wet ingredients and beat on low until combined.
- Form dough into a long flat log and bake in oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool for about 15 minutes.
- Slice dough into 1 inch slices and lay slices cut-side up on cookie sheet.
- Bake for another 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool.
- This recipe made 14 large biscotti cookies.