Christmas is right around the corner so I am going to be posting as many new gluten free baking recipes as I can.
That being said, I am sure my family will be quite tired of sweets by the time christmas rolls around.
Christmas is the time to indulge in the occasional sweet treat so why not make it even better by making it yourself.
Most of my recipes are quite easy to make so do not be intimidated that you cannot make a homemade gluten free treat.
You can absolutely do it and I hope you will share baking and sharing baking stories with me. Feel free to drop me a note on Facebook or Twitter.
This recipe has 2 steps.
First to make and bake the base.
Second to mix the other ingredients, pour over and bake again.
What I also love about this recipe is it does not have any chocolate in it.
Do not get me wrong, I love chocolate.
I find that during the holidays chocolate can be everywhere and it is nice to have a dessert bar that is fruit and nut based.
Gluten Free Apricot Coconut Bars
- 1 cup Robin Hood gluten free flour blend
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup Robin Hood gluten free flour blend
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1 can Eagle Brand condensed milk
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 9×9 pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl mix the 1 cup flour, xanthan gum and brown sugar.
- Cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Press crumbs into the 9×9 square pan and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Crust should be lightly brown.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine the 1/2 cup flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the eggs and milk and whisk.
- Add the coconut, pumpkin seeds, cranberries and apricots and stir.
- Pour over baked crust.
- Bake in oven for 30 minutes or until golden on top.
- Let cool and once cool cut into squares.