I will repeat myself again, but I love the leftovers of holidays more I think then the holiday meal itself.
In my previous post I shared a recipe for turkey tacos using the leftover turkey. Today I am sharing a recipe for slow cooker ham chowder that uses the leftover ham. Even though I have an instant pot I have been using my slow cooker more these days. Slow cookers are perfect I think for making soups, such as this gluten-free chowder.
One pot meals are my favourite in the winter and this hearty gluten-free chowder is so easy to make.
Use the saute function on your slow cooker to cook the bacon and chopped onions. Add the rest of the ingredients except the corn and the cream and walk away.
Let your slow cooker do its magic!
Even though I used cream in my recipe feel free to make it dairy free by using Nut Pods or even coconut milk would work.Print
Recipe: Slow Cooker Ham Chowder
A hearty ham, bacon and corn chowder that is gluten-free and easy to make in the slow cooker.
- 3–4 cups diced leftover cooked ham
- 1/2 pkg gluten free bacon, sliced into thin strips
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 4 medium sized potatoes , chopped into small cubes
- 1 1/2 L chicken bone broth
- 1/2 Tbsp dried dill
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2–3 cups frozen corn
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1– 1 1/2 cups thick cream
- Turn slow cooker to sauté function.
- Cook up the bacon.
- Drain most of the fat.
- Add onions, celery and spices and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes, ham and bone broth and turn slow cooker to low.
- Cook on low for 4-5 hours.
- Add corn and cook for 1/2 hour.
- Mix cornstarch and water in a small bowl. Stir well.
- Turn slow cooker to sauté and add cornstarch slurry and stir chowder.
- Add whipping cream and sauté for 7 minutes.
- Turn off and serve.
- I like to add fresh chopped dill to my chowder before serving.