It’s October and pumpkin season is here in full force. For us Canadians it is the time for thanksgiving and this year it is the first weekend in October.
I am hosting this year and I have to admit it I am very excited to host. Not so thrilled about the major house cleaning and the inevitable hours of dishwashing after everyone leaves, but the cooking and baking? Totally excited!
I think thanksgiving is my most favourite of holidays. It is the abundance of produce available at the markets, the cool weather, the changing of colours and the smell of spices and pumpkin that fill my house this time of year.
I will be making thanksgiving supper for the gang this year but I wanted to share a great pumpkin muffin recipe for those of you who will be hosting overnight guests.
This pumpkin muffin features a cream cheese filling and a streusel topping and I know it will become a family favourite.
Recipe: Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins
- 2 cups gluten free flour blend (I used Compliments gluten free flour blend available at Sobeys and Safeway but Bobs Red Mills 1 to 1 gluten free blend would work great too)
- 12/ cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup softened butter (or use Earth Balance vegan “butter”)
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin purée
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk (or use 1 cup goat milk with 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin spice
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup rolled oats (I used Only Oats non-contaminated oats)
- 1/4 cup raw pecans or almonds, chopped
- 1 pkg (8 oz) cream cheese, softened (or use Daiya dairy free cream cheese)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbsp gluten free flour blend (I used Compliments gluten free flour blend available at
- Sobeys or Safeway or you can use Bobs Red Mills 1 to 1 gluten free flour blend)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp rolled oats (I used Only Oats)
- 2 tsp gluten free flour blend
- 1 Tbsp chopped pecans
- 1 Tbsp chopped walnuts
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2-3 Tbsp melted butter (or use Earth Balance vegan “butter”)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 12-15 muffin cups.
- In a medium bowl add cream cheese, white sugar and egg and with a hand mixer beat until smooth. Add the gluten free flour and beat again.
- Set aside.
- In a small bowl add all the ingredients and mix well with a spoon.
- Set aside.
- In a stand mixer add the softened butter and the sugars and mix well.
- Add the pumpkin puree, vanilla and eggs and beat until smooth. Scraping sides of bowl to incorporate all.
- In a small bowl whisk the gluten free flour, spices, baking soda, baking powder, salt, oats and nuts.
- Alternately add the dry ingredients with the buttermilk and mix on medium speed until well blended.
- Fill lined muffin cups 1/3 full with the muffin batter.
- Drop 2 Tbsp of cream cheese filing into centre of batter.
- Top with remaining batter. (I like to fill the muffins 3/4 full)
- Top each muffin with a streusel topping (about 2 Tbsp each).
- Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes until toothpick inserted into muffin comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool.
For the cream cheese filling:
For the streusel topping:
For the muffin batter: