Recently I was at Una Pizza here in Calgary and had their Kale Caesar Salad. It was light, crunchy and very tasty. I knew this was a salad I would have to try and recreate.
Kale is really lovely in salads because it doesn’t wilt like a romaine or butter lettuce. Plus it’s one of the super foods we should be eating more and more.
Why should you eat Kale? I’ll give you a few really good reasons.
- Kale is known as the KING of vegetables in terms of its health benefits.
- Kale is unusually high in fiber and is an excellent source of Vitamins A and Calcium.
- It is one of the best sources of beta-carotene which means it is high in anti-oxidants.
- Kale’s nutrients help in battling cancer, heart disease, prevention of UV damage to cataracts as well as osteoporosis and dementia.
It really is, just plainly, a vegetable you should eat a couple of times a week. In the winter I tend to sauté Kale in olive oil and garlic as a side dish, or even better, I love to make a kale sausage soup.
Walmart is now carrying Organic Girl “I love baby kale” salad, that I really love. Baby Kale has a milder flavor and can easily be substituted in salads without anyone knowing they are eating something really, really healthy.
Organic Girl (I love baby kale) salad mix
1/4 cup slivered Parmesan reggiano cheese
5-6 slices fried bacon(crumbled)
1 egg yolk
Lemon juice from 1 lemon
6 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp Nonna Pia’s Strawberry Fig Balsamic Reduction
- In Vitamix add egg yolk, lemon juice, olive oil, vinegar, mustard and balsamic. Start on low and turn to high for a few seconds to blend all ingredients.
- In a large bowl add baby kale and crumbled bacon.
- You can either plate individual salads and allow people to pour their own dressing on, plus then slivered Parmesan, or you can mix all together in a big bowl and serve.