In my previous post I shared an old recipe from pre-celiac days to gluten free.
The gluten free banana bran muffin recipe turned out so well I couldn’t wait to switch up one of my grandma’s recipes.
My grandma meant so much to me that it warms my heart to not only think of her, but to make one her old recipes.
Poppyseed Loaf was something we had growing up a lot.
We used to pick up poppyseed cake at a local bakery as a treat but my grandma also used to make it herself.
I wish I had photos of the two of us together but I will just have to remember those times in my head and heart instead.
Not only did I switch the recipe to gluten free I made it dairy free also. Vegan “butter” and goat milk was an easy swap.
Recipe: Gluten Free Poppyseed Loaf
- 1/2 cup poppyseeds
- 3/4 cup goat milk
- 3/4 cup Earth Balance vegan “butter”, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp gluten free vanilla
- 2 tsp baking power
- 2 cups gluten free flour blend (I like to use Compliments gluten free flour blend that is available at Sobeys and Safeway)
- 1 1/4 cup white sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a bread loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl combine the goat milk and poppyseeds and let sit for 10 minutes.
- In a stand mixer cream the vegan “butter”, sugar, eggs and vanilla.
- Beat on medium speed until smooth.
- In a small bowl whisk the gluten free flour and baking powder.
- Add dry ingredients to wet plus the goat milk and mix on medium speed until batter is smooth and airy.
- Pour batter into lined loaf pan and bake in oven for 60-75 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool completely before slicing.