Are you a tea drinker?
Have you ever had a green tea matcha latte?
If you follow me on social media or know me personally you know I am tea fan! I
collect teas whenever I travel to new places and have quite the collection of teas in my house. You will find many different tea pots, accessories as well as tea mugs in my kitchen and I will admit it, I love tea!
Matcha is finely powdered Japanese green tea high in antioxidants, chlorophyl and theanine which is effective in improving mental focus and is an energy boost.
Matcha needs to be dissolved in hot water or milk and I think it is perfect as an addition to baked goods.
I thought I would add matcha to the cookie batter making it a soft green color too.
Gluten Free Matcha Thumbprint Cookies
- 1 cup Earth Balance vegan “butter”, softened
- 1 Tbsp matcha
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups gluten free flour blend (I used Compliments gluten free flour blend available at Sobeys and Safeway)
- 1/2 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
Typical thumbprint cookies are filled with jam before baking. Feel free to do that or I filled mine with a dairy free matcha cream cheese frosting once cookies were baked and cooled.
- 2 Tbsp Earth Balance vegan “butter” softened
- 1/2 container Tofutti cream cheese
- 1 tsp matcha
- 1/4 cup Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a stand mixer add the vegan butter and matcha and mix well until combined. Scrape bottom and sides of bowl to make sure all matcha is incorporated.
- Add icing sugar and turn mixer to low to blend and then increased to medium speed and mix.
- Add egg yolks and vanilla and beat.
- In a small bowl whisk the gluten free flour blend, baking powder and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and mix on low speed until combined.
- Use a small ice cream scoop to form balls and drop cookie dough onto lined cookie
- Bake in oven for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool.
- In a small bowl use a hand mixer to blend the softened vegan “butter and matcha. Add the cream cheese and beat well.
- Add chocolate chips and stir.
- Fill cooled cookies with a small amount of the filling.
- Chill cookies in refrigerator before packing up.
Looking for Delicious Salad Recipes?
In my Gluten Free Salads Cookbook you can find 27 other delicious recipes your friends and family will love, including: Cucumber Herb Salad, Roasted Strawberry Goat Cheese Salad, Sesame Noodle Salad and many more. Purchase yours today.
Share this recipe with your friends: