January is the time for a new year and normally a time to make resolutions too.
Did you make a new years resolution this year? (Let me know in the comments!)
It is getting close to the end of January and most new years resolutions have fallen through for most folks.
Is that true for you too?
I didn’t make a new resolution in January but have been continuing with mine to get into shape.
I turn 50 this year.
Yikes, that is hard to say.
When I turned 49 I decided I could not be overweight anymore. I could not use any of the excuses I had been using through the years anymore.
It is darn hard work, and I work at being a better me everyday. I am not starving myself, but am eating healthy.
Most importantly I am exercising. I did not grow up with sports as a kid, in fact I would say I was very inactive.
I had personal trainers in the past, I had been on a doctor monitored extreme low carb diet, I had tried all the fad diets, folks I had tried a lot of stuff but NEVER had stuck with anything.
Since November of 2013 I have been working out with a personal trainer 3 days a week. It is hard.
It is darn hard. This girl was intimated when she first started.
This girl could not do a lunge, could not sprint on the bike for 30 seconds, she could barely lift a 10lb dumbell.
IT HAS ALL CHANGED!
I am stronger, more powerful, feel empowered by what I do and I am hoping by my 50th birthday in April that I will have reached my goal.
Okay, enough about me.
These muffins tasted like a bran muffin. Yes, a regular, full of gluten bran muffin.
However there is no gluten, no dairy and no “bran.”
I use Natural Traditions Brown Rice Bran & Germ Powder which I found at my local organic food store.
Recipe: Carrot Apple Bran Muffins
- 1 cup gluten free flour blend (I use Compliments gluten free flour blend)
- 1/2 cup brown rice bran
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup goat milk
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup canola oil (or use melted coconut oil)
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 3-4 carrots shredded (1 cup)*
- 1 apple, peeled and shredded*
*I find it is easiest to use a food processor to shred the carrots and apple.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- In a stand mixer beat the oil, goat milk, apple cider vinegar and eggs.
- Add in the raisins, shredded carrots and shredded apple.
- In a small bowl whisk the gluten free flour, brown rice bran, baking soda, baking powder, spices, sugar and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until well combined.
- Spoon batter into muffin tin.
- I like to use an ice cream scoop to scoop out batter. This allows for even muffin size.
- Bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes.
- Remove and cool.
- Once cool you can icing the muffins if you want.
- I used a small container of Tofutti no-dairy cream cheese, 1/4 cup icing sugar, 1 Tbsp softened Earth Balance vegan “butter”, 1/4 tsp cinnamon and used my hand mixer to beat it all together.