I am a fan of this gluten free flour and have quite a few recipes on my blog using it.
This cake is actually more of a pound cake but I baked it in a daisy bundt pan that I recently bought at Crate and Barrel here in Calgary.
I was worried about the cake sticking to the pan but was vey pleased when after spraying it with coconut oil, it all came out nicely.
Firstly I want to let you all know that this cake is almost dairy free.
How could a cake be almost dairy free? The Cup4Cup flour blend has milk in it, but all the rest of the ingredients I used we’re dairy free.
I also want to state right now that this cake is full of sugar and eggs. It is by no means a low calorie cake, however, I will say this is probably the best cake I have ever made.
I think I should say that again.
“This is the best cake I have ever made!”
Oh, and of course it is gluten free too.
I’ve also included on the bottom of this post a quick and easy warm dairy free chocolate coconut sauce that you can top your cake with. It’s not needed as the cake can definitely stand on its own, but it’s a nice bonus too!
Recipe: Gluten Free Chocolate Swirl Cake
- 4 Tbsp white sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 Tbsp agave syrup
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1 3/4 cup softened Earth Balance Vegan butter
- 5 large eggs
- 3 cups Cup4Cup gluten free flour blend
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup coconut milk (if getting milk from a can of coconut milk, scoop cream off top. Do not use the coconut water.)
- 2 tsp gluten free vanilla
- 1 cup unsweetened raw shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Spray a large bundt pan with coconut oil, or if using a smaller bundt pan you will have batter left over. I sprayed 3 large ramekins with oil and made individual cakes)
- In a small saucepan combine the sugar, cocoa powder, water and agave.
- Bring to a boil and stir.
- Remove from heat and add the baking soda.
- In a standing mixer beat the butter until smooth.
- Add the sugar and beat until light, scraping down the sides of the bowl to incorporate.
- Add the eggs one at a time and beat after each egg.
- Add the vanilla.
- In a small bowl, whisk the gluten free flour, baking powder and salt.
- Reduce speed to low and add alternately the flour mixture and the coconut milk.
- Batter will be quite thick but if too thick add up to 1/4 cup more coconut milk.
- In a small bowl mix the cocoa mixture with 1 cup of the cake batter.
- Set aside.
- With the remaining cake batter add the shredded coconut.
- Spoon 1/2 the cake batter into the bundt pan.
- Top with the cocoa cake batter.
- Use the rest of the cake batter and spread evenly over the cocoa batter.
- Take a knife and swirl the batter.
- Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes until a toothpick inserted in centre of cake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
Recipe: Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Chocolate Coconut Sauce
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 cup Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup raw unsweetened shredded coconut
- Optional: 1/2 cup toasted slivered almonds
- In a medium saucepan on low heat, whisk the egg yolks, coconut milk, honey and oil.
- Increase heat to medium and add the chocolate chips.
- Stir constantly until chips are melted.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the shredded coconut and if you want the optional nuts.
- Let cool for a bit and sauce can be poured over cake.
- This sauce is dairy free and would be great served warm over ice cream.