Here is another warm soup recipe for these cold winter nights we are having this January.
It has been quite cold here and as a daily power walker it has been a challenge at times to get outside for my 90 minute walk. But I’ve not missed one day of walking in well over 100 days not.
What do I mean by cold?
Well there have been a lot of days where the temperature is -20 Celcius or colder.
That is cold!
I have committed to walking every day so I invested in some merino wool clothing and it has made a dramatic difference in keeping me warm.
The one thing I can say about Calgary even on cold days, is we usually have the bluest sky and it makes for a pretty picture when I am out.
I decided to switch up my normal thanksgiving ham and corn chowder soup recipe with cauliflower and bacon. Cauliflower once cooked for awhile purees into a smooth and creamy mixture and I thought it would be a perfect substitution for potatoes.
Plus cauliflower is low carb so I knew it would be a healthier alternative to using potatoes.
Cauliflower Bacon Chowder
- 3/4 head cauliflower, chopped into small pieces
- 1 L gluten free chicken broth
- 5-6 slices thick bacon, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup cream
- In a frying pan add the chopped bacon, celery and chopped shallot and cook until crispy.
- Drain excess fat and remove from heat.
- Add bacon mixture to a medium soup pot.
- Add the chicken broth and chopped cauliflower and turn heat to medium for 5 minutes.
- Stir, cover pot and turn heat to low.
- Let soup simmer for 40 minutes.
- Add the corn and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to purée half of the soup.
- Add cream and stir into soup.
- Remove from heat and serve.
Looking for Delicious Salad Recipes?
In my Gluten Free Salads Cookbook you can find 27 other delicious recipes your friends and family will love, including: Cucumber Herb Salad, Roasted Strawberry Goat Cheese Salad, Sesame Noodle Salad and many more. Purchase yours today.
Share this recipe with your friends: